Sport For Confidence has established a multi-agency Strategic Steering Group whose role it is to ‘check and challenge’ Sport For Confidence on its direction of travel with regards to the achievement of strategic objectives.
Members of the Strategic Steering Group have been selected because of their expertise in the understanding and delivery of core strategies. The collective expertise will enable Sport For Confidence to extend national reach, making sport and physical activity more accessible to those who face barriers to participation. as part of its Sport England funded #playyourpart project.
Liz Fletcher, Occupational Therapist Education Lead at Sport for Confidence, says: “Through the mobilisation of Allied Health Professionals we are closing the gap between health and physical activity, encouraging the delivery of a whole-system, person-centred, preventative health care model. This requires collaboration with multiple organisations across the health, social care and leisure sectors.
“Through the establishment of this highly experienced Steering Group we are able to tap into an intellectual resource and extended network that would otherwise be very difficult to access. Learnings can then be applied to ensure Sport For Confidence continues to develop and deliver services that drive towards the achievement of our strategic targets.”
The inaugural Steering Group meeting took place, digitally, last month. Moving forwards the Group will come together every couple of months.
The Strategic Steering Group is as follows:
- Anna Lowe, Programme Manager, National Centre for Sport & Exercise Medicine-Sheffield
- Lauren Walker, Professional Adviser at Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- Zoe Merchant, Programme Lead for the Prehab4cancer programme
- Dan Newton, Chief Executive Officer, Parkour UK
- Ben Beevers, Group Development Director, Everyone Active – SLM
- Dr Chris Whittaker – Senior Disabilities Manager, Sport England
- Brett Smith – Department Director of Research, Disability Rights UK
- Liddie Bone – Project Manager, Get Yourself Active Programme, Disability Rights UK